People Cause Problems, Not Religion

Yash Sharma, Section Editor

Ever since the beginning of my schooling, I’ve always been one of the only few Indian students on campus. Having a unique identity and culture from most students, there’ve been incidents where I felt like an outsider.

I remember entirely, it was a Saturday morning and I was in elementary school. I was going to try this popular restaurant, Scrambl’z, with my mom and brother. As we were leaving the restaurant, this homeless lady approached my mom while she was leaving the parking lot. She was wearing an old military jacket with military-style shoes.

“Go back to your country you f***ing Pakistani,” she screamed in the parking lot. My mom drove off emotionless. I was in the backseat scrunched up like a ball, hoping she wouldn’t see me.

I remember that incident to this day, and that statement hit me. It’s shocking how some people can make assumptions just by someone’s appearance. My mother has green eyes, fair skin, and is originally from New Delhi, India. Stereotypically, she looks similar to most Middle Eastern women.

“I think most white and black people are great people, but I think our system is set up that our politicians, whether they are Republicans or Democrats, are designed to make us not like each other so they can keep their grasp on money and power,” said Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley.

National politics and diverse religions have made people question their own individual identity and even make people stereotypically discriminate against others. As human beings, we must understand that not one religion or culture wants to promote violence.

Senior Shaida Rasuli explains how she was racially discriminated against in elementary school. “I was eating my lunch, and this boy right next to me asked, ‘is Osama Bin Laden your dad?’” Rasuli said. She didn’t know about Bin Laden at that age until she had asked her father who he actually was. After that incident, she’s never been open about her Islamic culture in high school.

Not one religion promotes violence, but instead, they promote people to be humanitarians. We can blame international politics and biased media, but we must understand that hating other cultures, backstabbing, and even lying are all part of human nature. Thus, this culture of human nature is creating this divide among people, and we continue to blame individuals. Instead of hating on other cultures or countries, reflect upon yourself.

The Bible (Book of Christianity) states: For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink (Corinthians 12:13).

The Quran (Book of Islam) states: If your enemy inclines toward peace then you too should seek peace and put your trust in God (Al Quran 8:61).

The Bhagavad Gita (Hindu Scripture) states: I have the same affection for all creatures, and whosoever remembers the Lord, resides in the Lord, and the Lord resides in him (18.48).

With these being some of the most practiced religions, they all share the same message: humans deserve love. We need to become humanitarians and think before we say or act. Whether we have different lifestyles, prayers, or clothing, we must teach this upcoming generation to respect all.