Should GHS Create a Life Skills Class

Life Skills: Skills you may need to survive as an adult

Photo courtesy of: www.mybanktracker.com

Credit score chart that shows you if you’re credit is either ‘Very Bad, Bad, Fair, Good, or Excellent.’

Jalen Hunter, Staff Writer

Here at Gunderson High School, we have many classes for students to choose from. Some of these classes are required in order to graduate while others are optional. One class in particular that our school doesn’t have is a life skills class.

In a life skills class, the students would learn about being an organized adult and things they might have to deal with as an adult such as rent, loans, debit cards, and credit cards.

https://bacon.house.gov/issues/taxes
An example of what the paper you file your taxes on may look like

“I think it’s important for the students to learn these things,” teacher Caitlyn Gutierrez said. “They [life skills] do happen out in the real world that they are going to have to handle and deal with.”

“Having prior knowledge of it and understanding how it works and how to best organize their time, money, and everything is a valuable skill to have so they can practice it without then having the ramifications of going into debt or missing payments just because they don’t understand how the process works,” Gutierrez said.

A life skills class would also show students not only how to do many things in their adulthood but how organization is a key component as well. The class would explain why being well organized will help you alot in the future because at points in your life you could get stressed out over having a lot of things to deal with, but if you organize your time and figure out how to deal with those things, it could potentially help that problem.

“I think a lot of students here probably don’t know a lot of life skills because our school doesn’t teach them to us and my parents don’t really have a lot of time to teach me,” freshman Jovanna Chavez stated.

Sometimes students’ parents may not have enough time to teach their children some adult skills because they may have to balance their own responsibilities.  

Freshman Maricia Acevedo was asked if she thought Gunderson should make a life skills class and she said, “Yes, because I don’t know what a lot of things are that I might have to deal with as an adult and it would be cool to learn them before I have to deal with them.”

If Gunderson High School decides to create a life skills class, it should be available as an elective for all students, especially those who will soon have to deal with these skills they would discuss in class.

“To be honest, our school really could benefit a lot from a class like this and we would learn alot from it, too,” Acevedo said.