• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

80’s movies

Some movies are so good, yet they always seem to be overlooked.

Some of the most renowned 80’s movies.

Some of the most renowned 80’s movies.

Shayne Harms

Shayne Harms

Some of the most renowned 80’s movies.

Shayne Harms, Staff Writer

The Breakfast Club”, “16 Candles”, “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”, and “Stand By Me”, are some of the best movies of all time. They all have one thing in common. They were made in the 1980’s. These movies are timeless.

Most of the great ones were written and directed by John Hughes. Usually they had some member of the Brat Pack as well. The core members included Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, and Ally Sheedy.

These were the people who continuously starred in movies together. Some of these movies include, “The Breakfast Club”, “St. Elmo’s Fire”, “Pretty in Pink”, and “16 Candles”.

In Stand By Me four young boys, embark on one last adventure before middle school, where they go their separate ways to find the body of a missing child. It is based on a novel by Stephen King called ‘The Body’. The title of the movie comes from the famous song of the same name by Ben E. King.

“‘Stand By Me’ is my favorite 80’s movie,” Gunderson’s Film Studies teacher  Zachary Schreiber says. “I love the poignancy of a group of boys finding out about the great mysteries of life and friendship.”
In “The Breakfast Club” five students from five different social circles learn new things about each other. There’s the brain (Anthony Michael Hall), the athlete (Emilio Estevez), the basket case (Ally Sheedy), the princess (Molly Ringwald), and the criminal (Judd Nelson). They find out things about each other that no one would have guessed before.

“My favorite 80’s movie is ‘The Breakfast Club’,” freshman Noel Ball says. “The Breakfast Club is my favorite movie because it develops four character arcs throughout the entire movie in an entertaining and deep way.”

In “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”, Ferris pretends to be sick for the last time. (He’s already been absent nine times.) His best friend is out as well, but he’s actually sick. Ferris somehow gets his girlfriend out of school too. They go on adventure around Chicago, while their assistant principal goes around the city looking for him. By the end, it’s a race against time for Ferris to finally get home before his parents.

“Weird Science” stars Anthony Michael Hall and Ilan Mitchell-Smith as they make their idea of the perfect girl. The thing is they’re huge nerds, and one night they were watching “Frankenstein”, so they decided to make Lisa, the girl of their dreams, portrayed by Kelly Lebrock. She teaches them how to let loose through very weird ways.

“I definitely think movies were better than [in the 1980s], because I think more time was put into them since there was less budget and FX, and everything was original,” Ball says.

80’s movies will always be relevant. They were not sequels; there were still so many ideas back then. Lately we’ve been exhausting a lot of them, with sequels. It’s always good to pay attention to the originals.