• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

New Field, New Beginnings

More stories from Julian Simpson

Everything in life always is changing and without change we don’t have growth

Photo of Gunderson football field (Angled Right)

Julian Simpson

Julian Simpson

In the next school year in 2018, Gunderson will have new installments in the athletics department. Gunderson will be having the field and track redone over the summer. Construction will start on April 20 of this school year and approximately done by next school year before Gunderson hosts the football jamboree.

This field was paid by the district by measurements bonds which remodeled all the districts field in the two years.

“It was always planned to be redone. They always knew they were gonna do that, they just coordinated and got in the process last year. They did half the high schools last year and we are part of the other three that are getting it done this year,” athletic director Chuck Ball said.

Ball has been working for Gunderson for numerous of years and was former football head coach of the varsity team.

Though Gunderson is getting a new field and track the reasons why get a new field in the first place is the real question.

“They learned in thirteen years, nobody like the black rubber that they used initially because it holds on to the heat and it’s a much hotter field. So, the other three fields they already have for San Jose Unified have the cork, instead of rubber. It kind of fulfills the same purpose but doesn’t absorb the heat, so it’s a much cooler field,” Ball said.

Another change will be the design of the field, from inside the end zone to the middle of the field.

“They are also doing a lot more artwork, it’s going to say GRIZZLY in one end zone and COUNTRY in the other. Also, we are updating our logo to the updated traditional logo now,” Ball said.

Though just the end zones and the middle of the field will be changed, it is not finalized yet so there could be a totally new outlook on the field.

“I think they should do it like a smurf turf, kind of like Boise, Idaho or Boise State where it’s all blue but have our colors brown and gold alternate every five or every 10 yards or something like that endzones is written,” Munoz said.

Salvador Munoz a teacher at Gunderson high school and former JV head coach now current varsity head coach likes field but says the players, play will affect the greatness of the field.

“It would all depend on how well we do on the field. This year I think it’s gonna be awesome. Having a new field but it means nothing if we don’t back it up when we’re out there,” Munoz said.

The field and track cost about a million dollars with the new padding being put under the field for more protection.

Mark Camilleri the school principal just felt like the school deserves better the same field as everyone else.

“Upgrade on everything from the turf, but they using brand new to the track, to the padding is going to be a lot softer just everything, everything has to be brand new top of line material, I believe that the kids at the school that play sports in all different realms and use that field on a weekly basis and I want to make sure they have the best quality material out there too. And, you know, hopefully, we win a championship in football next year too.”