• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

“Looking for Alaska”

“Looking for Alaska” is a book by John Green

The book cover of “Looking For Alaska”

The book cover of “Looking For Alaska”

Shayne Harms

Shayne Harms

The book cover of “Looking For Alaska”

Shayne Harms, Staff Writer

The book “Looking for Alaska,” by John Green is 223 pages, and 64,033 words depicting Miles ‘Pudge’ Halters experiences at Culver Creek Preparatory High School.

Miles is a 15 year old boy from Florida with a fascination of knowing people’s last words. He is known as the type of kid most parents wish their kids to be. However he doesn’t have many friends, or experiences.

So, while seeking “The Great Perhaps” he ends up at his father’s old high school, Culver Creek Preparatory High School.

His roommate, Chip ‘The Colonel’ introduces him to Alaska Young, a gorgeous, smart, and wild girl who Miles immediately takes a liking to. Alaska, who has a boyfriend, is a prankster who is adored by the entire Junior class.

The only social rule at Culver Creek is not to rat. There are two groups of people at Culver Creek, the Weekday Warriors, and Pudges group. They don’t necessarily like each other, but if neither group rats they live in harmony.

For example, in the book the Weekday Warriors believed Chip ratted on two of them resulting in their expulsion from school, they eventually get in a prank war.

This decision was a bad judgement on their part, as their opposites have Alaska Young on their sides.

Alaska makes an agreement with Pudge at the beginning of the book. The agreement states that if Pudge figures out what ‘The Labyrinth’ means in a certain context, then Alaska will get Pudge a girlfriend. In the end he agrees.

Even though he wants no one except Alaska. He still finds it to be better to have her as a friend rather than nothing at all.

The quote ‘The Labyrinth comes from the last words of Simón Bolívar, “How will I ever get out of this Labyrinth?” Eventually Alaska does find Pudge a very beautiful and kind girlfriend.

All the characters are: Miles ‘Pudge’ Halter, Alaska Young, Chip ‘The Colonel’ Martin, Takumi Hikohito, Lara Buterskaya, Mr. Hyde, and Mr. Starnes (The Eagle).

The book is separated into two parts. Before and After. The Before portion is just getting to know all of the character’s personalities, and the second portion focuses on grief, suffering, and mystery-solving.

“The way John Green describes grief and how heart-wrenching it is… it really helped,” says John Muir eighth grader, Lea Sandigo. “I first read the book five years ago when my grandmother had first passed, so knowing that others had the same thoughts and indescribable feelings as me, was just so comforting,”

“I would read the book based off the title,” says freshman Martha Chavez Alvarez who goes to Uniondale High School in New York. Chavez Alvarez hasn’t read the book yet but would love to when she has the chance. “If a book is a dream in your hands, then I never want to wake up,” says Chavez Alvarez 

In the end, after thoroughly reading this book, I definitely recommend it to anyone willing to read it.

However, some of the content and word usage is a bit mature, so I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who might be a little young to understand it. It is some amazing work by the amazing John Green.