• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Black Panther Movie Review

Is it a total flop or something that is worth your time

Black Panther is Marvel’s newly released movie and tells the story of T’Challa, played by Chadwick Boseman, who is the newly crowned king of Wakanda but is quickly challenged a new comer named Killmonger, played by Michael B Jordan. Ryan Coogler is director of the movie and he continues Marvel’s trend of entertaining and magnificent movies. The movie has many, many things done correctly but just like any other movie it has some minor but still prevalent flaws. But we will get to that later.

Let’s start with what Black Panther did well.

This movie has some amazing action sequences in it. They are well choreographed, done with amazing stunt people and the CGI is not heavily relied on whatsoever. Secondly, the cast did a phenomenal job with the acting. The true highlights of this film are Michael B. Jordan and Chadwick Boseman. They really portrayed the rivalry and hatred the two in universe characters have for each other. Other than those two, Lupita Nyong’o, who portrays T’challa’s little sister, is another shining example of the amazing acting. Chadwick and Lupita have many memorable moments with each other, whether it be comedy wise or just working well together during an action sequence, you can see the chemistry both of these actors have with each other.

Which brings me with the next point, Black Panther took what I call a “Deadpool & Thor Ragnarok route”. There is a lot of moments where the film will give you a lot of laughs, the jokes are never used more than twice and they are well spaced out enough where it doesn’t feel too much at a given time.

And finally the last thing this film did well at was the overall message it gave to people. To me the best Marvel films do this kind of thing. For example, “Captain America : The Winter Soldier” isn’t just about Captain America going after The Winter Soldier but it is about war, the differences between freedom and fear and what the implications can do to human kind. Black Panther’s message is a social commentary one to say the least. The message relies on the characters of the film looking inside themselves and reflecting upon their viewpoints or morals and what was wrong about their lives or nation before T’Challa took the throne. Which is what I really like about this movie. Almost all of T’Challa’s development relies on him realizing that it is not just about walking into this kingdom expecting everything to be perfect and not have his kingship challenged, it’s about how damaging the previous generation was and the problems that arose from that. This is something that I did not expect whatsoever.

By far my favourite aspect of this movie is the fact that these characters eventually reach the point where they are looking at themselves and are trying to figure out how to make their lives or friendships and even the world better.

And a lot of this stems from Killmonger, by far one of my favourite villains in the MCU. The fact that he makes the characters realize this is one of the reasons why he is so damn good as a villain. In fact, by the end of the movie I was even questioning myself whether or not to call him a villain. Killmonger’s motives were something you can side with since you can most likely understand where he is coming from. By not going into spoilers and revealing everything about the movie, if you see it you might understand.

Moving onward, this movie has an impenetrable hype. So much so that if you talk negatively about it, it’s almost like a crime. Luckily for me, that’s exactly what I am going to do.

Let’s start with what bothered me the most. Killmonger is introduced to the audience in an amazing way but then immediately after he disappears for a good portion of the movie and I believe the film could have been better if he had more screen time. My other issue with the film is that there are moments where the CGI seemed a little unfinished, like it needed just a bit more time and it would’ve looked fine. And finally the movie did suffer a bit in terms of how the story paces itself, There are moments where two or three major events happen or there are moments where it seems to chug along.

To end this review up, Black Panther is a great film that any casual and hardcore Marvel movie fans will like together. I highly recommend this film and hope you enjoy it too.