• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Cheez-Its vs. Goldfish

The snack that smiles back

Julian Simpson

Julian Simpson

Julian Simpson, Editor in Chief

Addictions. A lot of us have one and don’t even know it. But what really is an “addiction?”

One of these addictions may be in everyday life activities such as reading, watching television or simply eating. Everyone has their little snack that they can’t resist.

Cheez-Its are one of those snacks you could get addicted to in matter of minutes. Cheez-Its first made their debut to stores in 1921 from the Green & Green Company then moved to Keebler and are now a part of today’s Kellogg family. When the 1929 Depression occurred, Cheez-Its were there for the taking in stores to support the people in difficult times.

Some people would say that Cheese Nips are the rival to Cheez-Its.  Cheese Nips are almost the same shape as Cheez-Its and have almost the same exact ingredients, but they’re not. Sadly the company can not be a rival since people don’t even know what Cheese Nips are in the first place. (Have you ever heard of Cheese Nips?) The more formidable rival is definitely the “snack that smiles back,” the Goldfish.

Julian Simpson

Goldfish, introduced by Pepperidge Farms, was first created in 1958, but were not sold in stores until 1962. Margaret Rudkin, the creator of Pepperidge Farms, discovered Goldfish on a trip to Switzerland where she met Oscar J. Kambly who introduced them to her. She bought the idea from him, making his invention a part of her company.

Being a die-hard Cheez-Itz fan, when I hear the “childish” Goldfish is a rival to the mature 100% percent Cheese, it is unbelievable. Many people who eat these snacks wouldn’t think there is a big difference between the two because “they are just food.” Yes, they are just snacks, but it is like saying, “iPhone or Android” or “Nike vs Adidas.” It is an ongoing rivalry between to competitive brands, which should be respected. You can’t go wrong with either and it is hard to choose between them, but in the end Cheez-Its the winner.

I took a look at the nutrition and serving size, marketing, and lastly pleasurability to prove that Cheez-Its are the superior snack food. A online site called, Bucky Cheeses,  (https://buckycheeses.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/goldfish-vs-cheez-its/) created by two bloggers who specialize in agriculture and cheese from the University of Wisconsin, states the difference in nutritions between the two crackers.  “The difference in nutrition between the two seems the same however the serving size is drastically different. Goldfish have 250 mg of sodium per serving and 20 grams of carbs per serving. Cheez Its has 230 mg of sodium per serving and 17 grams of carbs. The difference lies in the amount of crackers per serving; goldfish nutrition facts are based of 55 crackers while Cheez Its is based of 27 crackers. One serving of Cheez Its is half the serving of Goldfish, therefore making Goldfish nutritionally better.”

The marketing of these two companies target two very different crowds of customers. Goldfish clearly advertise to children between 2-8 years based on the topics of their advertisements and slogans. Goldfish, for a long time has had the slogan, “the snack that smiles back” and also the recent tagline on social media #FORALLFAMILIES. While Goldfish seems to aim to be family-friendly, Cheez-Its advertise to keep up with the times.

From the 1930’s through 1960’s, Cheez-Its advertised with mainly baseball. Famous players like Babe Ruth appeared on the back of the boxes.  In the  1980’s, the company started the advertisement of being “100% Real Cheese” (which remains today)as Americans became increasingly concerned with obesity. The newest commercials and ads focus on the cheese being “Ready or Not,” implying the quality of their product is top notch, which consumers today are concerned with. Cheez-Its advertising relates to everyone, which makes Cheez-Its the better advertisers.

The last components is pleasurability. What is more enjoyable, Cheez-It or Goldfish? I went around and asked my fellow high schoolers which was more enjoyable between the two snacks. I had the chance to ask 180 people and to my surprise Goldfish won 93 votes to Cheez-Its, 86. When I asked why people picked what they picked, most of those who answered Goldfish said that, “there are a lot of good childhood memories” associated with Goldfish. Those who chose Cheez-Its typically said that, “Goldfish are for little children.” Though Cheez-Its were popular at Gunderson, an online poll (http://whowouldwinafight.com/cheez-it-vs-goldfish/) shows Cheez-Its is winning by almost five hundred votes.

This will be a never-ending debate of which is better. Both are very good, but it cannot be denied that Cheez-Its are better.