• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Emmanuel Ramirez: Athlete & Honors Student

The journey of an outstanding student athlete

Courtesy of Emmanuel Ramirez
Emmanuel Ramirez: Football

Alondra Rodriguez, Staff Writer

There are many great athletes here at Gunderson High School. Here’s why a particular student athlete is one of them.

Emmanuel Ramirez, a freshman, played football, soccer, and plans on joining track during the 2017-2018 school year. He also managed to keep a 3.5 GPA throughout the first semester, which is impressive because of the everyday practice and 1-2 games a week.

When joining all of these teams, Emmanuel thought about his future, and that’s what got him into doing all these activities.

“I want to be able to actually do something with my life and I think sports is my only way out,” Ramirez stated.

I want to be able to actually do something with my life and I think sports is my only way out”

— Emmanuel Ramirez

He also thought about how playing can be beneficial to the future him academically. During the interview, Ramirez had said that if for whatever reason he injures himself to the point he can’t play or he doesn’t get a scholarship, then the perfect grades will be there to help him out.

However, he has faced a setback while playing. During football, he got a concussion from a blind sided hit (which means he got hit helmet to helmet without being ready). Since Emmanuel plays as goalie in soccer, when he dives for the ball he hits his head hard, which resulted in him getting another concussion. For both sports, he had to be out for 2 weeks.

He didn’t let this face him though. In fact, his injuries motivated him because he missed not being able to do any physical activity.

Not only does he go out on the field to play soccer and football AND go onto the track to run, but he also is starting to go to the gym after practices. “It can help me stay fit for the next activity I do,” Ramirez said.

Managing to participate in school can get very difficult and stressful. Ramirez mentioned that the two people in his life that motivate him to keep going are his mom and his younger sister. “My mom motivates me because I want to provide and pay for everything they do since my mom does everything for me. My sister because since she’s Special Ed I want to make people see them differently,” Ramirez said.  

Since he wants to stay focused on his education and sports, Emmanuel tries not to let anything distract him. When asked what are some things that make distract him, he replied with “girls and doing drugs.”

“Everything else is pretty easy to handle,” Ramirez added.

Next year, Ramirez hopes to take as much AP classes as he can. Sports wise, he wants to try new things. “I might try out for baseball, wrestling, and maybe volleyball. But forsure football and track,” Emmanuel stated.

It does affect him to know that some of the sports’ seasons he wants to play happen at the same time. However, it makes him want to choose a sport wisely and step out of his comfort zone.

“That’s my mood for next year.”

All in all, Emmanuel Ramirez is a very smart and great student athlete who has a lot of potential to make it big in his life.