• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

13 reasons why

Suicide should have more awareness

netflix+cover+for+13+reasons+why++
netflix cover for 13 reasons why

netflix cover for 13 reasons why

netflix

netflix

netflix cover for 13 reasons why

Erin Wells, Staff Writer

Each day there are on average 3,470 suicide attempts between 9th and 12th grade. Suicide is a difficult topic for many people, but Jay Asher, the writer of “13 Reasons Why”, and Selena Gomez teamed up to tackle this topic through a television series.

The television series “13 Reasons Why” is an adaptation of 13 reasons why  that Jay Asher wrote dealing with teens in high school.

When Hannah Baker the main character of “13 Reasons Why” commits suicide she leaves behind seven audio tapes. On each tape, she provides reason for her death.

Once a person listens to the tapes, they must then pass the tapes along to another person. If they don’t, then a second set of tapes will be released to the public.

“13 Reasons Why” touches on many social issues affecting teens today such as bullying, cyberbulling, depression, sexisim, and slut-shaming.

“It’s supposed to be good for suicide prevention but its not,” Nani Cruz, a junior at Gunderson High School said.

Syenna Salcedo, a Junior at Gunderson High School, mentions that slut-shaming is a big deal in high school. Rape is something that shouldn’t be taken lightly because it’s a serious thing the someone can go through.

“I believe the writers wanted us, the viewers, to see how much our actions can impact someone,” Malyah Washington, a junior at Gunderson High School, said.

Washington goes on to say,  “I think the writers view suicide was executed perfectly, being that she had gone through so much her suicide was gruesome, but not overwhelming.”

Suicide should never be taken as a joke, but Salcedo says “people romanticize depression nowadays. It’s, like, such a common thing…” She always hears students joking  that there depressed and that there going to “kill themselves” “its really insensitive” Salcedo said.

With students going around joking that their going to “kill themself” or that their depressed it’s hard to take people serious.

“The fact the Hannah wasn’t taken very seriously was quite shocking and the way her ‘friends’ treated her,” Washington said.

Be there when a friend or anyone is reaching out for help you could be the one to change their decision  from committing suicide or living.

If you ever have suicidal thoughts, or know of someone who does, please don’t hesitate to call the national suicide prevention lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.