• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

What’s really in your Mcdonalds!?!?

What the Mcnuggets you eat actually contain!!!

Mcdonalds Chicken Nuggets

Mcdonalds Chicken Nuggets

Today.com

Today.com

Mcdonalds Chicken Nuggets

Jalen Hunter, Staff Writer

Mcdonalds. The fast food restaurant is loved and liked by many people. Do you like Mcdonalds !? and if so why do you like it !?

It is the world’s largest restaurant chain, with 34,480 restaurants in 119 countries. There daily customer traffic is 62 million people, more than the population of Great Britain. They sell more than 75 hamburgers a second, they are the 90th largest economy in the world, and they also feed 1% of the world’s population a day.  

Although they are an popular company there are many suspicions concerning the meat they use in some of their meals such as the chicken nuggets.

Nick Fotus, a freshman at Gunderson said, “My favorite thing on the menu are the chicken nuggets because they taste good.” Maricia Acevedo, another freshman at Gunderson said, ¨ The meat does not taste real, but I still like it though.¨ After they told me these things, I then decided to take that information and tell them what the chicken nuggets he loves so much are really made of.

Jalen Hunter
Maricia Acevedo Holding a Mcdonald’s Card

The chicken nuggets are the one of the top 5 meals on their menu. The process starts off with real chicken carcusses. The breast meat is then removed, put through a grinder, where its mixed with chicken skin and seasoning. After that it is shaped into there ¨McNuggets¨, which come in 4 different shapes. They come in a bell, boot, bow tie, and a ball.

Finally, the last step of this whole process is battering them in not one, but two coats and par-fried for shipment to franchises. Although the nuggets are not very healthy for you, they are also not the ¨pink slime chicken¨ that many people think it is. The ¨pink slime chicken¨ is when you crush the chicken in whole, with all of its body parts such there eyes, bones, and guts still in the chickens body. After its all smashed it looks like pink slime.

In an NPR article, author Maria Godoy states, “Nuggets sold by some fast food restaurants are barely deserved to be called chicken” citing an American Journal of Medicine article

The nuggets tested that year were only 50 percent meat at most. The rest including things such as fat, blood vessels, nerves, and bones.

While the researchers declined to name the fast food restaurants from which they got their samples from, many consumers were ready to start thinking that one of those places were McDonalds.

McDonald’s isn’t the only fast food restaurant defending there chicken reputation of there nugget. The National Chicken Council has had this FAQ on facts and myths about chicken nuggets up for over a year.

Although the Mcdonald chicken nuggets aren’t as bad as many people think they are does mean you should go out and eat a whole bunch of them because they still contain a lot of calories. If you eat too many you could pass the the normal amount of calories you should consume per day, which is not very good for your body.

So I would have to say your best choice is to get the 6 or 10 piece meal if you are ever thinking of getting McDonalds chicken nuggets.

About the Contributor
Jalen Hunter, Staff Writer
My name is Jalen Hunter and I like to play football, run track, and baseball. I am 14 years old and a freshman at Gunderson High School. This is my first year of Journalism and I think it’s really fun so far. My goal this year is to get a 3.0 or higher every grading...