• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

One final run

Lots of Twists, They’ll be Missed

The Last City, Literally

The Last City, Literally

hdqwalls.com

hdqwalls.com

The Last City, Literally

Noemi Cardenas, Staff Writer

The Maze Runner series directed by Wes Ball, made the movie trilogy based on the books by James Dashner. When seeing the first movie, I thought it was amazing because I had nothing to compare it to. I enjoyed the plot and the movie kept me on the edge of my seat. I liked it so much that I even decided to read the book series.

After reading the book series, I had a deeper understanding of The Maze Runner trilogy. I was able to compare The Maze Runner book to The Maze Runner movie and I liked both quite equally.

The second was not completely following the plot of the book on how it was written out, but it was nice to see how Ball directed it. It added a lot of thematic elements that made it suspenseful which I quite enjoyed. The third movie however, had a lot of details that were scrambled, and some things occured that couldn’t possibly happen in real life. They were questionable at first but I wasn’t going to let it ruin the movie for me, so I moved past them.  

The movie was not completely different from the book yet still some book fans aren’t too happy. Some people even go as far as bashing the actors and the directors. The actors like Dylan O’Brien, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ki Hong Lee, Kaya Scodelario and many more gave it their all to bring this movie to life. In my opinion, the plot of the third movie was quite thin but it was nowhere near making the movie seem terrible.

Even though some characters died, Wes Ball kept the storyline going. The fact that James Dashner killed off many main characters in the book meant that Wes Ball would have to do the same for the movies. If he didn’t, many hardcore book fans would hate on him for not following the intended story line. When he did, many fans were left emotional because they grew attached to a character or because they liked the bond two characters.  Obviously, Wes might’ve been conflicted on whether or not to direct the movie exactly like the books were written.

Considering that it will probably be the last movie in the series, I enjoyed how Ball and Dashner ended the storyline. Many people might even wish for details on what happens after the end, yet that seems unlikely to happen. However, there are two other books that Dashner releases separately. The first being The Kill Order which is set prior to the occurrences to the second book The Fever Code and 13 before The Maze Runner being the third. I haven’t finished reading the two additions but I’m certain that my opinion is likely to change after knowing everything that Dashner included in these two novels.