• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Horoscope accuracy

We hear about zodiac signs all the time but how accurate can they be?

Elle.com
Elle.com’s Daily Horoscope

Mitzy Garcia, Staff Writer

We’ve all been asked the question. “What’s your sign?” Such a simple question that determines so much, but why?

I find it strange that people think they know a person by a zodiac sign that is given from a day we have no control over.

Your sign is determined from the position of the Sun on the day you were born. It is said that horoscopic astrology originated in the Mediterranean region. There are 12 signs that were derived from animal constellations in early Mesopotamia.

Sometimes we just want to know what the day has in store for us, horoscope readings provide a quick fix to the uncertainty. Yes, I read my horoscope, but I’ve always wondered how accurate it really is.

Some days I feel like I can relate to any horoscope reading while disregarding my own zodiac sign. Sometimes they are close to true but a lot of horoscopes answer with such generic answers that they can pertain to anyone who is living their regular life on a daily basis.

Being born in August makes me a Leo but I’ve never felt as though the characteristics of a lion truly matched me. Lions are known for being proud and Leos are characterized as such but I have never felt as though I needed to be in the limelight.

“All I know is that I’m a Capricorn and apparently they’re ambitious… At this point in the year I don’t feel ambitious at all,” said senior, Kristina Kratzmann.

Daily horoscopes are determined by using the position of the moon. It is said that future events can be foreseen by the the alignment of the planets… but I’ve wondered how qualified the writers of these ‘future events’ are.

Some horoscope columns are truly written by astrologists, while there are some creative writers that can easily acquire the same job which makes me question how truly accurate these horoscopes may be.

“Honestly I read my horoscope through my app every single day and it pretty much determines how my day is gonna go,” said senior, Hazel Bustillos.

It all comes down to whether you choose to believe or not; like you how you choose to believe in ghosts or aliens.

Although I remain a skeptic to the increasing popularity of horoscopes, I still find comfort in reading them. Sometimes reading it provides a sense of guidance or just pure entertainment. Some people just like feel-good columns.

About the Writer
Mitzy Garcia, Editor in Chief
Mitzy Garcia is a senior editor at Gunderson High School. Garcia is also involved in leadership as the senior class vice president and a part of the varsity cheer team. Garcia was previously a section editor her sophomore year and plans to continue studying journalism in college.