The Student News Site of Gunderson High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Tall and the Short of It

Lindsay Porlier

Lindsay Porlier

Lindsay Porlier

The Tall and the Short of It

February 5, 2018

A Day In the Life with a Tall Person

Everyday we look up and accept our lives for who we are. But, because of this we accept the struggles and benefits of how we were made. Let me show you the life of a tall person.

Life could be short-lived or could be a tall-tale with many people to talk about them. Literally, life could be short-lived for short people and a tall-tale for tall people. As a relatively tall person at, six-foot three,  I wouldn’t understand how it is to feel short around people, growing up always the tallest or one of the tallest in my class. I do know however, the daily life of a tall person. There are benefits and struggles to anything, even as simple as being tall.

One of the most common complaint about from tall people is funny enough, normal sized things for the average person.

“Oh yeah, my feet hang off the bed all the time,” said senior Mason LaCrone. Mason is about six-two and knows the struggle very well about being tall.

“Lifting, because you have to go lower when lifting like doing squats, cleans, or deadlifts,” LaCrone said.

Even though from a sports perspective being tall could be beneficial it also be detrimental, even in basketball, football or wrestling or just in general.

“I don’t know. It’s harder to get stuff from the low shelf. In wrestling they go after your legs. [In football] you don’t get as low easier, also it harder to squats and bending exercises in the gym,” junior Jose Lorenzo said about his being tall.

Lorenzo at six-foot four, is a varsity football player and had done wrestling  understands the work extra effort because you bigger and taller.

Also a lot of people don’t know about being taller is that it puts a lot of stress on your body. More than it would a regular or smaller person.

Gurmin Johal, a junior, stands six-foot five, and is a varsity football player who knows the struggle as well. “Oh yeah, lastly tall people have a lot more stress on there body like the knees, necks and stuff,” Johal said.

Now, even though there are a lot of struggles, being tall comes with a lot benefits as well.

“Some of the benefits are a lot of people will notice you,” said junior Jacob RaBon.

Jacob RaBon stands at six-foot one and with his sudden up burst in height he doesn’t know where he exactly gets it from.“My dad is five-seven, then my mom is about five-six,” said RaBon.

“One benefit would obviously reaching stuff that’s higher. Another thing is playing more positions in sports such as basketball or football. Oh, another one is it a good conversation starter just like people come to you and say your tall,” said Johal.

Senior Mason LaCrone said, “You don’t have to ask to reach for the top shelf. Oh yeah, also ladies.”

On a normal day I wake up and like any other kid and put on clothes and get ready. Same as anyone else I try to eat my wheaties so I get stronger and taller but the difference is the wheaties work way too much when I eat. I go to school towering over people with everyone noticing me but walking past because they are too scared to say anything to me. I walk and talk to my friends like any other teenager. In a normal day some might come to  be amazed with your height and then you go home to your undersized bed and repeat that everyday.

All the interviewees were asked what was the average height for other people to perceive your are tall. They all said six-foot mark  was the height for being tall.

“I just feel like the mark is six-foot. When people see that you’re that height they say ‘whoa, you’re pretty tall,’ ” said Johal.

Height may be a part of our lives but short or tall, we are all people and doesn’t matter our height, age, religion, race, or ethnicity we have one thing in common. We are all human.