• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Filed under Showcase, Sports

How to be a successful sprinter

Ways you can achieve being a great sprinter!

A sprinter running

A sprinter running

A sprinter running

Sprinting can be a very hard task to learn sometimes, especially  if you want to become faster at it. It takes a lot of concentration and effort to sprint the fastest you can.

Sheyla Tinoco, a Freshman at Gunderson who has been doing track for 2-3 months, shared some great advice which can be very valuable to contribute towards running techniques.

“Coach is really big on swiping our arms and accelerating when we take our first step,” Tinoco said.

Joseph Miclette, a teacher at Gunderson and the Track and Field coach for almost 14 years, explained why swiping our arms is so important and what it means to accelerate.

Miclette said, “To become a successful sprinter and to become faster consist of 2 things, mechanics and strength. Strength because you need it to push through your exceleration phase into transition phase. Even once you get to your top speed phase, you’re still pushing off the ground.”

Pushing off the ground is crucial because it helps you go faster. Let’s say someone is running a 100m dash, what you want to do for at least 30 m is push and accelerate through the ground. As you move forward for the other 70m you should keep pushing through the ground, but if you have practiced for enough time it may feel effortless.   

“There are mechanics that have to be mastered or at least close to mastered in order for you to become a successful sprinter because you have to know what your body must do in each phase,” Miclette said.

Other ways you can become faster are performing running drills. “Driving the hands and arms back, more aggressive with the hand movement back rather than up, on the ball of your feet (top half of your foot), and taller. Those are the little things that are very significant. Just do drills, drills, and more drills until that athlete has mastered it and can move on to the next phase of their mechanics,” Miclette explained. The most important thing to remember is the faster you push your arms, the faster you will go.

Another subject that could contribute towards building your speed is your health. Your health is very important because it can possibly prevent people from getting faster depending on your eating habits and how that combines with the drills and or exercises you perform.

Miclette said, “Water has to be apart of the daily intake for hydration purposes, blood flow, and being able to excrete the toxins in your body. Water is going to allow everything to work better and the way it’s meant to be.”

“When it comes to nutrition, as far as your intake, be smart about what you eat and make the right decisions.”

“Your body is like a machine. If you take care of it, it will work the way you want it to. As far as specifics, eat your carbohydrates, protein, fatty acids, and plant based foods throughout the day,” Miclette finished. 

In conclusion, all of these things are all very important to remember especially health, running techniques, and sprinting in general. If you are looking towards getting faster you should most definitely take some of, if not all, of these things into consideration. If you are looking forward to trying out some of these things, you should most definitely commit to it. If you commit, the things you want to change may start too.