The Origins of Supérette Cinématique

Yash Sharma, Section Editor

During this pandemic, many people have discovered new interests and hobbies they’ve never experienced before. Before this pandemic, most teenagers had this repetitive cycle of waking up, going to school, then participating in extracurriculars, and finally being exhausted from that tiring schedule. While these stay-at-home orders are mandated, teenagers like Senior Liam Kirk have picked up new interests and goals that always vanished and passed by them during their busy school life.

Kirk was surrounded by movies and films most of his life and was always fascinated by how they were created. However, with all of this free time, Kirk jumped into his new passion: filmmaking. Kirk has experience with drawing, sketching, and even making his clothing brand. “Film is one of those rare genres where you can implement all those elements into something people can enjoy for two hours and stay attached,” Kirk said. Read From an Average Student to a Young Entrepreneur: Liam Kirk’s Journey to further understand his lifestyle before filmmaking. 

Kirk first started with Pomegranate Studios, which he randomly named. Months later he changed his production company to Supérette Cinématique. “The reason I came up with that was that I was trying to find something that encapsulates my mindset, and French sounds cool,” Kirk said. His new production company’s name means Cinematic Liquor Store. Kirk mentions that his production name is peculiar, but it symbolizes his creativity in creating unique short films. A liquor store and the Cinema don’t come together, and this indicates how he’s different from most film companies. 

Kirk doesn’t have a specific genre of films in which he specializes, but he tries to play with his viewers’ emotions. “I want people to subconsciously take it in and then see what they think about it and come to their conclusions about it, so I try new techniques,” Kirk said. The makings of the movie The Social Network on Mark Zuckerberg gave Kirk insight into how films are created. Last Christmas, Kirk’s mother purchased him a MasterClass, which featured directors Spike Lee, Jodie Foster, David Lynch, and Aaron Sorkin. He learned more about scriptwriting and directing from these reputable sources, but he believes he doesn’t need a college degree to become a successful filmmaker. “I talked to Mr. Schrieber about this and the only reason I would attend film school would be for the connections, however, I have to also put in unnecessary effort on classes and assignments just to gain some connections which aren’t always guaranteed,” Kirk said. 

Kirk shoots all of his films in the Bay Area, and his family has played a pivotal role in his films. His father used to attend Film Festivals in which many movies were rated R, but he’d always bring back t-shirts and talk about stories that were appealing to him. These stories have enhanced Kirk’s curiosity about all types of films, genres, and actors. Kirk also used a camcorder that his cousin handed down for a while to create some videos. “Whatever I put my mind to, whether it be track, podcasts, or even filmmaking, my family is always ready to put a chip in,” Kirk said. 

His next 15-minute short film will be released anywhere between July and September. He expects his viewers to be engaged and wants people to form a full opinion once they are finished. “With my shorter films people have attention spans of nats, and they only have full attention when they’re watching marvel movies,” Kirk said.

Kirk has not only evolved as a highschooler, but he’s become a perfectionist. “A lot of people won’t know this, but Pomegranate was my first step to whatever is next,” Kirk said. Gaining experience in filmmaking at an early age, he’s setting the standard high for himself. “It’s like that first song a musician makes that gets all of this anxiety of what other people are going to say, and Pomegranate took me a couple of days to perfect.” Many people are finding themselves under this pandemic, and for Kirk, he’s finding the camera in his hands. 

Liam’s Short Films

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bly8X2WmHFEeFnwZlr0hs2S6G8_hp1jB/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BrrFcqb77BfbsMqGI3ypmSJJRZiRHq3T/view