Art Surprise!

On December 18, 2018, the San Jose Art Museum visited a lucky class at Gunderson High School bringing an interesting chance to display the different exhibits and insights on art in San Jose.

Respected member and art expert, Toby Fernald came to Nicole Zacheo’s room prepared with a slide show, engaging speech, and hands-on games that interested and kept the attention of students.

“Amazing, very interesting,” said Chinna Nguyen, a freshman who was in the class the presentation was held.

Opened 1969, the San Jose Art Museum is a continuous flow of imaginative minds and exhibits to suit the soul.

Fernald, previously a playground director at a high school, had a very “optimistic” and “art toned” life. Her two sons, who loved crafts, ultimately lead Fernald to bring them to the San Jose Art Museum.

“Working at the museum is very exciting… I enjoy it very much, with a passion,” Fernald said. “Having been there almost over 30 years is crazy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Fernald had put together a “unique” presentation featuring the different works of Picasso, Raphael, and Michelangelo.

“Picasso, especially, to me is such a diverse mind and his art reflects that… Art can show struggles and emotions not many know to show through themselves,” Fernald said.

Throughout the class period, students took breaks to play drawing games where two people would take turns describing and drawing a painting featuring the cubism style.

Enticed and interested, students paid attention to the presentation having multiple questions from Picasso’s blue period to his final pieces.

Fernald is also a founder of an art program for middle to high schoolers. This program gives up to thirty-five thousand kids per year insight on art, information on careers in art, and help in self-expression through art.  More information can be found on the San Jose Museum of Art’s website.

“I encourage student’s to get in touch with their art side,” Fernald says. “As relaxing as it can be, it is also a way for young minds to be more open and in touch with the creativity they hold.”

About the Writer
Ava Brough, Staff Writer

Ava Brough is 14 years old and in the 9th grade.She is a new student to gunderson. She joined journalism because she like to write and thought that it...