Technology, the New Oxygen

Students wandering Gunderson Highschool checking their phones

Ava Brough

Technology, the vast and endless world of possibilities consisting of pictures, videos, socialization, news, and much much more.

Walking around school it’s common to see people taking selfies, having phone calls, or even just Snap-chatting.

But before the iPhone ‘plague’ of June 29th, 2007, people lived in the moment.

Birthdays were kept to family members and friends. People rarely were seen taking pictures of food, videoing, or even snapping pictures.

Pictures had meaning back then, now it’s: ‘how many likes can this one get?’

Now, people who were once at an event just chilling and enjoying the event, suddenly need to have everything documented.

Have people lost what it means to be without the internet?

Now hear me out, most nights when you get home, you’ll have the TV on while scrolling through your phone, laptop, or anything with access to the internet.  

But, the fact that this is now the norm, is very shocking.

According to a Common Sense survey, used in a CNN article by Jacqueline Howard on the overuse of  technology and kids, sees 46% of United States kids ranging 7-12 receive their first phone.

That is too young an age to be given any device.

Children begin brain development just as young as four weeks, and it doesn’t end until around 25 years of age.

Kids and teens everywhere from such a young start point are being taught that a cellular device is an equivalent to an extra appendage.

And as an NYT article on Americans and phones concludes as well, is a perfect reason why over 50% of people surveyed statewide feel they need their phone to breathe.

Without their phone, people get anxious, depressed, or even angry when they can’t access their media profile and find what’s ‘new’.

There are roughly two different mindsets when you’re on your phone that can vary:  You’re either occasionally checking your phone for a purpose, or you use it as a gateway to feeling validation.

The USA teens and kids of this generation are on a whole other path than either of those, and if nothing is changed depression rates will grow, addiction will become worse, and of course, SOCIALIZATION.

Who knows, at this rate maybe you’ll be texting your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, siblings from the other room, and that’s the only way you’d communicate all day.

Growing up in the 2000s, a technology-based era, it’s easy to argue ‘technology is a necessity’ and I am not saying you’re wrong.

What I’m saying is at the rate this is going, not only will technology be your life source, motivation, and automatic go to, as well as what powers your deathbed (literally), but also what controls you for the rest of your life.

According to Statista, The Statistics Portal, over the course of a year from 201, 224.3 million people had a device of some sort, as of 2018, statistics showed 237.6 million people with a phone or device of the sort.

Looking over the chart, that’s almost a steady increase of 12-14 million people per year getting a phone.

50% or more will fall victim to depression, anxiety, and anger over the addiction and overuse on said phone.

Phones aren’t bad as a whole and can be used as a stress reliever, a happiness inducer, and much more.

The fact of the matter is the dependency America has on their cellular devices to keep them happy as well as to keep them in the know is the issue.

I know I don’t want to end up like the highly obese, lazy, technology-based space world of Wall-E, and you should hope not, too.

In the future generations, anything could happen.

Yet as of now, not only statewide but worldwide, children as young as you can imagine, to elders are experiencing severe addiction that could easily be controlled by simply putting down your device, stepping outside, going for a walk, and enjoying the moment for what it is.

About the Writer
Ava Brough, Staff Writer

Ava Brough is 14 years old and in the 9th grade.She is a new student to gunderson. She joined journalism because she like to write and thought that it...