Handcrafted barricade devices ensure safety at GHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Samuel Scianna outside his class with the cart he uses to take the wooden barricades from classroom to classroom.

Leslie V. Razo, Staff Writer

Samuel Scianna, Gunderson’s new woods teacher, built wooden door barricades that were tested on the lockdown drill held September 28 during second block.

These wooden barricades will be used to keep dangerous intruders out of the classrooms and away from students in case of an emergency lockdown.

One of the barricade designs for door handles.

Within a week, Scianna managed to supply more than 20 classrooms with their very own wooden barricades. Scianna’s goal was to make barricades that can be placed over the door handles easily to help reduce the stress during a crisis.

Senior Aaron Rothschuh, who has been participating in the school’s emergency drill for four years now, said, “The main problem is, how do you reinforce the [plexiglass] windows in which a bullet can not go through it?”

Many classrooms at Gunderson have large windows that are difficult to barricade, including the N-wing rooms that have windows across an entire wall.

Slip-on barricade design for crash bar doors.

Unfortunately, making these windows bulletproof can be costly.  According to an article from The New York Times’ “The LTI Group and Kapiloff’s Glass sell such setups for $50,000 or more apiece — a price that’s prohibitively expensive for most schools.”

For Gunderson and other low-income schools, this fix may not be an option. Scianna’s wooden barricades may be a more cost-efficient way to protect staff and students.

“It takes five minutes [to build], it’s so easy to make, yet it can save lives,” Scianna says.

Scianna hopes to help reinforce people’s safety here at Gunderson. “This [barricade] is nothing compared to the life of a student or a teacher or a staff,” Scianna said.