Swim unit on hold due to the racing pool’s low temperatures

Katherine Hayner

GHS pool temperature halts swim unit.

The swim unit for Gunderson’s PE classes is currently on hold because the temperature of the racing pool is too cold for students to swim in.

The fate of the Swim Unit for PE classes depends on the racing pool being warm enough for students to swim.

USA Swimming mandates the pool should be between 77 and 82℉, and schools are prohibited from holding swim meets and classes if the pool doesn’t meet those standards.

“Currently in class, we can only use the diving well,” says GHS PE teacher and swim coach Janet Gutierrez. “I would like to be able to use the racing pool… because we have brand new swimmers and people I have never seen swim.”

Some students are upset that they may not be able to swim in the fall due to the temperature of the pool.

Freshman Adaline Robledo is sad that she may not be able to swim this fall. “I’ve always loved the swimming pool… in my opinion, I would prefer a swimming unit… so I guess it would be a little sad if we weren’t able to have it this year.”

Other students, however, are not concerned with this issue.

“It’s boring,” says freshman Armando Padilla. He would rather do football or soccer rather than swim.

As of September 25, the racing pool’s temperature was at 78℉, but they are unable to maintain that temperature.

For more information on this issue contact Janet Gutierrez in the girls locker room.