• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Gold Passes worth the gold?

Many people complain about the price of gold passes, so let’s answer the question, are gold passes worth how much they cost.

Gold passes are designed beautifully, are they not?

Shayne Harms

Shayne Harms

Shayne Harms, Staff Writer

Gold Passes are a form of season passes at California’s Great America. They come with free parking, free entrance to Halloween Haunt and Winterfest, free regular entrance to the park, discounts on food, as well as Boomerang Bay.

The Gold Pass also gets you into Gilroy gardens, another theme park belonging to the franchise. You can choose to either pay all $96 at once, or participate in four payments of $16. If you so choose, the dinner plan is a possible addition to these benefits. This would add $86 to the original price.

To get your gold pass, you must either wait in a line for a long time, if you don’t put in  your information online, or a short line if you did. They attach pictures to your gold pass, to make sure it’s you using it, and someone didn’t steal it.

“Yes,” says Madison Pannell, freshman. “If you go a lot, it’s worth it.”

Some of the rides in Great America include, Flight Deck, The Demon, Goldstriker, Patriot, Grizzly, Orbit, and their newest coaster Rail Blazer. Rail Blazer features three inversions. It travels at 52 miles per hour. Riders are lifted to a height of 106 feet, before diving into a drop at a 90 degree angle. It is a ride to revolutionize roller coaster building, as it is a single rail coaster.

The dinner plan only works at Great America establishments. So, it won’t work at the Panda Express, or the Subway there. However, it will work in the American Cafe and the Food Court.

It gives you free lunch and dinner. Dinner is after 4pm. Since the food there is very expensive, the dinner plan is definitely worth it. As long as you don’t plan on going to the name brand places.

The one day entrance fee into the park is $40. The gold pass costs $96. The season pass pays off in three visits.

Great America is one of the only ‘famous’ theme parks so close to Gunderson. That’s where a lot of people choose to spend their summers. That season is coming up.

“The Food,” says Pannell. “It is definitely the worst part about it.”

Of course there are negatives to Great America. For example some of the rides are a little rickety. Or, the food isn’t very good. People tend to complain about Demon a lot, since it can give you whiplash.

Also, it isn’t open on home game days during football season. So, your parents can’t just drop you off while they go to the San Fransisco 49ers game.

Gold passes are also helpful because in October they host an event called Halloween Haunt. It is a great opportunity to get scared with your friends.

I  highly recommended you to get a gold pass this season.