Heads Up: This Milk Tea Place Offers Lactose-Free Options

Many places are already offering drinks that are just tea-based. What about the ones who want milk tea without risking themselves?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Clarise Santos, Sophomore, Staff Writer

In my opinion, milk tea is something that all my friends and family really like, though everyone else might’ve had it at some point. The problem is that I recently became lactose-intolerant, meaning that I can’t have much dairy without getting sick. When I discovered that this place had dairy-free options and a really good menu, I already liked it from the beginning.

Like many other milk tea shops, there’s customization for the ones that like creating their own drinks. Unless you’re extremely indecisive like me, choosing one of the “Speciality Drinks” is the way to go. My personal favorite is named ‘Paradise Lime’, which is just a lime-infused tea that Teaspoon claims to not have any artificial colorings and caffeine. It’s good on a really hot day, but that’s just my opinion.

Another one that really caught my attention is called ‘Liquid Gold’, where a honey-infused oolong tea is mixed with the normal cream, but I’m not sure if it’d work if it’s the same with the lactose-free option. It sounds really delicious, though.

Ice and sugar levels are pretty basic standards, but the two options of cream styles are really in my favor. Classic Milk is stated as its non-dairy option in contrast to the Organic House Cream that seems very similar to normal-styled drinks.

If it’s all about milk tea, isn’t there anything other than that?

There’s also something amazing called ‘Shaved Snow’, which is a combination between shaved ice and ice cream. It has a very fluffy texture that reminds people of winter snow, but it’s actually edible with infused flavors like strawberry and green tea.  

When I first had it back in 2016, I was very mind-blown at the fact that something like this had existed, though I don’t remember if I even finished mine in those days. It’s still dairy, so I have to be careful. Still, it’s something that not all milk tea places offer, but it’s recommended to look that up beforehand.

Even if I talked so much about how I like milk tea, what about it’s creation?

Milk tea is simply a Taiwanese tea-based drink invented in Tainan and Taichung in the 1980s, where a tea base is usually flavored with fruit or milk and added tapioca pearls. The ice-blended ones are amazing with its slushy consistency, though it varies with each person towards their likings.

I’m a very indecisive and picky person in general, and since many places do have their own customized menus, it’s not that hard to choose a flavor. At the same time, having the same thing gets boring, right?

Honestly, not everyone has to like milk tea. At the same time, it really depends on the person, and everything here was my own opinion. I just love milk tea, though I wouldn’t drink it every day.

In the end, having milk tea on a hot day is something that I’d want to do in my free time. Having too much isn’t a bad thing, unless it’s really good.