• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Most Effective Way to Transform Your Skincare Routine

Skincare Essentials and Tips

Humphrey's alcohol-free witch hazel toners are infused with essential oils that'll gently soothe your skin, restoring it to it's natural PH balance

Noemi Cardenas

Noemi Cardenas

Noemi Cardenas, Staff Writer, Entertainment/Opinion Editor

Skincare today to some people might not seem as important, but to others, it’s the key to “natural beauty”.  For those enthusiasts that live and breathe beauty, testing all kinds of products is key.

They basically have their skin routine down to a science, and soon you can too!

Knowing what skin type you have is the first step to completely transforming your skin routine, as well as buying the proper products necessary.

There’s typically four different skin types: normal, oily, dry, and combination. Having normal skin means means an overall well-balanced amount of sebum and moisture.

Normal skin is easily identified by it’s fine pores and smooth texture, along with good circulation. Normal skin also  tends to be radiant and blemish-free.

Oily skin has a large amount of sebum production, hence its greasiness. Oily skin can be characterized by it’s large and clearly visible pores, as well as a glowy or glossy shine. Oily skin is prone to acne, especially during puberty.

Contrasting oily skin is dry skin. There are limitless variations of dry skin ranging from skin that is slightly lacking moisture, through extremely dry skin. However, dry skin overall tends to have a tightness to it, almost like the elasticity of the skin is incredibly low. There might even be blotches and patches of flakiness. Combination skin is when the skin in your T-zone and other parts of your face differ.

Once you’ve figured out what type of skin you have, it’s time to go through your products, and personalize them to be specific for your skin type.

The first step with any skincare routine begins with washing your face. Make sure to get a cleanser that works for your skin, like an oil-based or water-based cleanser. You don’t want to get a cleanser that is too harsh, especially if your skin is sensitive.

You’ll want to avoid cleansers that contain harmful ingredients like parabens and sulfates. These irritate your skin and cause acne. Many cleansers also contain fragrances which in small quantities aren’t harmful, but an excessive amount of them can be damaging to your skin.

The next step to renew your skin regimen is to invest in an exfoliator.

Exfoliating gets rid of all the dead skin that is building up on your skin, and it helps you achieve smooth, glowing skin. This step is optional based on whether or not you want to double cleanse.

Following that, you’ll want to use a toner. Toning contributes differently to skin routines and types. However, everyone’s skin after cleansing is stripped of excess oils and its PH balance. Using a toner after cleansing will help return the skin’s natural PH balance to normal.

The next step is to use any treatments and serums that target specific problem areas for your skin. Whether it’s redness, hyperpigmentation, or minor breakouts, there are tons of essential oils and serums designed for treating these patches of skin. Using an essence is also recommended because it aids in skin repair and cell regeneration.

Following the essential oils and serums, you will want to apply a moisturizer. Moisturizing is by far the most important step in a skin care routine and all the skin types need it, including oily skin. Though you might feel as if your skin is already hydrated, applying moisturizer can prevent dullness and flakiness in your skin. Investing in a moisturizer is not limited to one skin type only, in fact all skin types should be properly looked after.

Another incredibly important product for the skin is sunscreen. Sunscreen helps protect against skin risks that occur from sun rays, like skin cancer, or sun spots. It also helps protect you from getting a tan.

Proper skin care is important to achieve a young and youthful look, as well as remain hygienic. Developing a skin regime is important, but not as important as maintaining it.

While in the process of transforming your skin routine, keep in mind that you don’t have to be a skincare enthusiast. You can simply be an individual that wishes to change their skin for the better.