• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Tough but Sweet

Going from a Coach to becoming a baker.

Coach Joe Gresham coaches football and track and field.

Erin Wells

Erin Wells

Erin Wells, Staff Writer

“We work hard, we win, and we have fun” is one of Joe Gresham’s favorite things to tell his football and track athletes. Gresham has been coaching football for 20 years and track and field for 17 years.

You may know Gresham as a coach and only a coach, but when he’s not with his athletes, he bakes with his wife. Gresham and his wife created the online bakery “Sweets by Design,” where they create custom cakes, cookies, and more.

Family members and friends started to ask Gresham and his wife to bake cakes. A business followed shortly after.

“People asked us to do other cakes and it just kind of snowballed and then about four months into it my wife’s like, ‘Hey let’s do this as a business,’” Gresham said. “[We] researched… licensing and all that stuff. My wife is really talented at this and my end is pretty easy to do, so we just literally fell into it.”

When Gresham is not baking with his wife, he is out coaching his athletes. This was his first year coaching at Gunderson. He has made has made quite the impression on some of  the other coaches.

“He brings a feel of togetherness like he talks to all the kids no matter skill level, and he’s pretty fair with everyone,” teacher and fellow football coach Sal Munoz said.  “He’s a good guy. He knows what he’s doing [and] kids relate to him.”

He worked at many different schools including San Jose High School and Kings Academy. While working at  different high school, he met and worked with many coaches as well as athletes.

“He  has a very good coaching technique because he is very patient and waits for you to understand,” junior Gurmin Johal said of Gresham. “He is always positive as well.”

Gresham started coaching because he is very passionate about it. He wants the best for his athletes and wants to see them succeed.

“I love football, and then I found out that I love track, too and that I could be around my football players all year round and train them all year round,” Gresham said. “[I] just love football and coaching.”

Finding a coach that is willing to put his all into helping his athletes isn’t an easy task. So the next time you run into Coach Joe, consider thanking him for  his dedication.