• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Adzuki Mochi

How to Make Adzuki Mochi at Home!

Clarise Santos, Staff Writer

Are you a fan of Japanese sweets or a huge fan of baked goods? If you’re saying something between the lines of “yes” or “possibly”, you’ll absolutely enjoy this recipe for making adzuki mochi. This article will guide you into the process of how I made it for the first time, and advice for things I would’ve used beforehand. (Besides, the photo was taken last minute.)

In Japan, there’s various types of “wagashi” (和菓子) or Japanese sweets in various types and sizes. The one that I’m talking about is called “Daifuku” (大福) or usually named “Daifuku Mochi” (大福餅). It’s basically soft mochi filled with sweet and delicious “anko” (red bean paste). Though there’s many other alternative fillings and colors you could use for your own daifuku, I decided to stick with two seperate recipes from Just One Cookbook and Japanese Cooking 101 for starters.

INGREDIENTS

For the Mochi:

• ¾ cup of Mochiko [115g] or Japanese “shiratamako” [100g] (glutinous sweet rice flour)
  • ¾ cup (180ml) of water
  • ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • ½ cup (100g ) potato/corn starch
  • A medium-sized cookie cutter
  • One cookie scoop/tablespoon
  • A rolling pin

For the Adzuki (Red Bean) Paste:

• 1 cup (128g) of red beans
  • 1 ½ (192g) cup granulated sugar
  • Water

INSTRUCTIONS

[Adzuki Paste]

1. In order to make the red bean paste, it’s recommended to make this days before the mochi process.  Pour the red beans in 4 or 5 cups of water, then boil it for five minutes.
  2. Afterwards, discard the water and transfer the beans into a new pot with the same water quantity. Cover the pot and simmer it for 1 ½ hours after bringing it to a boil. Add more water if needed, until they become very soft.
  3. Discard the water once again, and transfer the beans back into the same pot with sugar on a medium-high heat. You have to constantly stir this for ten minutes, or longer if there isn’t results of a smooth paste that looks glossy yet loose. This isn’t highly recommended, though a hand blender or potato masher of some sort might come in handy if you’re having a hard time making the paste. And immediately store it in a container for better results.

(If you don’t have enough time to make the homemade paste, go to a Japanese supermarket and buy some, and I bet that there’s also shiratamako there.)

[Mochi Process]

1. Gather all the ingredients needed to make the mochi, including the red bean paste and other tools needed for this process.
  2. Combine the mochiko/shiratamako and sugar in a medium bowl, and add water until it becomes thoroughly mixed.
  3. Lightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and heat it on high heat (depending on the wattage) for one minute. Take it out, remove the cover and stir with a rubber spatula, and repeat the process one more time before finishing it off for thirty more seconds. It should turn from white to very translucent.
  4. Cover your work surface with parchment paper, then a generous amount of corn/potato starch before transferring the cooked mochi on top. Use a rolling pin to slightly roll out the mochi after letting it cool for a little while, then transferring it onto a baking sheet to refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  5. Take out the cooled mochi from the fridge and use your cookie cutter to cut out 7-8 mochi wrappers. If you have excess dough, roll it out again until you run out.
  6. Use a pastry brush to dust off the starch from each individual wrapper, and placing a sheet of plastic in between each one.  
  7. To finally assemble the daifuku mochi, take one wrapper and use a cookie scoop to spoon out some red bean paste in the middle of each one.
  8. Pinch all four corners of the mochi together, and add starch on top to seal it shut. After repeating for each one, make sure you store them in a container in a dry or refrigerated area.