• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Gap Year Vs. College

The choice between taking a year to yourself or going onto school

Mitzy Garcia, Editor

As it gets closer to college decision day, there is still a decision that few high school seniors consider. Should I go for a gap year or dive straight into college?

A gap year is exactly what it sounds like, it is a year that typically takes place from when a student graduates through the first year of college. In simpler words, it’s a year off.

There are a lot of different reasons that you may consider a gap year as an option. Maybe you don’t know whether college is the right choice, you want to save up money, or even travel abroad.

The first time I considered this as something I wanted to do was when the option of moving to Long Beach with my friend came up. It was a foreign concept to a lot of the people I spoke to. Ditching a year of college for an experience that I may regret, ended up being a risk I didn’t want to take.

The leap from high school to college isn’t something that everyone is prepared for.

“I just felt like there was more to experience before I went through another four years of school,” said Mariela Garcia, Global Citizen Year representative.

Garcia decided that the best choice for her was traveling abroad through Global Citizen Year, a gap year program for students who plan to go to college after.

There are a lot of different reasons that you may consider a gap year as an option. There are a lot of options within the realm of a gap year.

Some people just want the year to relax, save up money for school, travel, or to partake in programs such as Global Citizen year.

As I did more and more research to come to a consensus I saw benefits to both options. I decided that the best option for me would to go straight to college so I could stick with it.

“I never really considered a gap year, it sounds fun but honestly it really isn’t for me since I kind of have this plan set out,” said senior, Nika Noorishad.

If you’re like me, taking a gap year might not be the best option because I know the freedom I’d get with my time would be enough to not want to go back to school.

At the end of the day it comes down to the kind of person you are. Sometimes traveling or not having to focus on school gives you a better sense of what you may want to do down the road.

Global Citizen Year
Global Citizen Year “Fellows” Hiking in India