• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Coco Movie Review

Camila Salazar, Staff Writer

Coco is Disney’s Pixar most recent release that came into theaters on November 22, 2017. It captures the story of a young boy, Miguel, who his Mexican family bans anyone from their own blood to play any type of music. Despite his family’s old ban on music, young Miguel dreams of becoming an amazing musician like his idol Ernesto de la Cruz.

Since he’s desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and “magical” Land of the Dead. After meeting a trickster named Héctor in the Land of the Dead, the two go on a quest to find the real reason why his family doesn’t enjoy the sound of music.

Lee Unkrich, the director did an excellent job organizing the film. The cast members that were most paid attention to was Anthony Gonzalez who does an amazing voice over for Miguel being just 13 years young, and Gael García Bernal who does the impressive voice over for Héctor, one again Miguel’s pal. The whole cast did splendid voice overs and made multiple amusing jokes.

It was even more funny since the movie did have two languages in Spanish and English, making Spanish speakers able to understand, especially the jokes.

Overall Coco made $757, 683, 379 in profit, in addition to having a 97 percentage on Rotten Tomatoes.

So let’s start with everything “Coco” did well in. All what went into the movie was clearly well thought of. From every single color they used to every song choice they made. The colors were very vibrant and pretty. Since the movie was both in Spanish and English, they didn’t forget to add music from both languages. Making it so non-Spanish speakers could understand and Spanish speakers as well.

Next, there was a lot of things going on but it wasn’t overwhelming either. There was many gasp’s and “Omg!” to it. Some even saying that they started crying towards the end. Since some people said that they even started crying, that obviously shows you that “Coco” really got to them on a more emotional level. Therefore, having the movie leave an left on the audience.

Finally, what I really liked about “Coco” was the message it gave to the viewers. The movie is centered around the Mexican celebration of the Day of the Dead. “Coco” says a lot about family, about family stories, about memories and music. There’s a strong theme about how the past and the present are connected to each other more than we think. It gives you the motivation to never stop reaching for what you want and nothing less, your goals of becoming who you really want to be. Despite all the negative that maybe will come your way.

To end this review, “Coco” was a very very but very good film and I’m positive anyone will love it. I recommend it highly and I hope you have enjoyed or will it enjoy it as much as I did.

About the Writer
Camila Salazar, Staff Writer
Camila Salazar was raised in both San Jose and in Richmond near Oakland, with her family of 6. She’s the youngest of 3 sisters. The oldest, Valeria, graduating from Oak Grove 4 years ago and two of them being twins, Nicole and Daniela, that graduated from Gunderson last year. She has three dogs, a chihuahua,...