• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Lights Camera Culture!

Gunderson PRIDE Shows Through Our Culture

Thomas Lawton Showing off Gunderson PRIDE

Quan Nguyen, Staff Writer

The MultiCultural Festival: a time to share one’s culture and history with one another.

On Friday, March 16 during lunch Gunderson Highschool’s PRIDE team put on the annual Multicultural Festival.

Flags decorated the ceiling from head to toe displaying dozens of countries.

The attendance office was covered with student paintings featuring high rise buildings and small houses of various countries showing off Grizzly PRIDE.

Hundreds of students inspected each stand looking to fill out their passports for a chance to win well-earned paw dollars and prizes. Students crowded around history teacher Joseph Miclette and his DJ booth as he played festive music throughout the event.

Junior Jonathan Thomas, a student of this year’s yearbook class, visited the Multicultural Festival visit learn about his culture and add another event to memorialize the school year featuring all of the good times.

“Multicultural Festival brings and shows our diversity as a school,” Thomas said. “It’s really exciting to see this year’s booths since I’m part Italian on my dad’s side”

Many participants showed off their school spirit during the Festival by dressing in traditional clothing attire and accents.

Jacob Lawton set an example of Gunderson PRIDE by investing his time and effort into the Cultural Fair once again this year. Lawton greeted each viewer with a warm welcome and brief overview of his country, Scotland. When approached by students and asked to explain his display Lawton gladly responded with a confident “Why Certainly!”

Each year during the Festival, Lawton has presented his passion and dedication to presenting Scotland as one of the main nations to learn about.

“Scotland is the most magnificent country around, there’s nothing like it…” Lawton said. “It’s where me pride comes”

Not one stand looked like another throughout the fair. Each display was accompanied by a member representing their nation with helpful facts displaying foods, historical events, and places. Some displays even served food and beverages related to the country.

Some teachers even participated in this year’s multicultural festival as well.

Sonia Rebelo an AP US Government and Honor’s Economy teacher decided to show off her Grizzly PRIDE by representing Portugal, a country located to the west of Spain. Rebelo wanted to show some of her students her commitment to her roots.

“I’m really proud to be Portuguese and I support Evans for hosting this event to share with the students of Gunderson,” Rebelo said.

Much of Gunderson’s spirit comes from its students and staff. The Cultural Festival showcases a mixing bowl of different ideas. It’s a time to relate and explore the cultures from across the world and see just how connected we are to each other.

As the bell rang signaling the end of the MultiCultural Festival, the DJ stopped playing and the students started to slowly disperse from the forum returning to their GLC classes to end the Friday on a good note.

Students who participated in the event began taking down the displays and the removing tables from the area. The forum became a blank slate, clear of all traces of there ever being a festival there in the first place, and the school day carried on just like normal until next year when students return to display their cultural pride once again.

1 Comment

One Response to “Lights Camera Culture!”

1. Sophia Nguyen on March 22nd, 2018 10:11 am

Hi! I would like to honorably mention Gunderson Interact Club, which has been hosting the past 7 years of Gunderson’s Multicultural festival, and would greatly appreciate if there is a mention of this club, which have worked endlessly to host this event, without them, there would be no Multicultural.

[Reply]

• Lights Camera Culture!

Arts & Entertainment

Coco Movie Review

• Arts & Entertainment

Tuesday Night Blues

• Lights Camera Culture!

Arts & Entertainment

Black Panther Movie Review

• Lights Camera Culture!

Arts & Entertainment

Video games of the past

• Lights Camera Culture!

Arts & Entertainment

Review: “Winchester”

• Lights Camera Culture!

Grizzlies of Gunderson

Student Teacher

• Lights Camera Culture!

Sports

Experiencing a Healthier Life in High School

• Lights Camera Culture!

Grizzlies of Gunderson

Moving

• Lights Camera Culture!

Grizzlies of Gunderson

Mind Game

• Lights Camera Culture!

Grizzlies of Gunderson

Injury

The Student News Site of Gunderson High School
Lights Camera Culture!