• November 27Need money for college? See Ms. Bowers in the College and Career Center for a list of available scholarships.

• November 27Yearbook questions? See Ms. Silverman or a yearbook rep in D3!

Sports, weather, and student health

Outdoor weather conditions too harsh on athletes?

Quan Nguyen, Staff Writer

Student athletes that partake in an after-school sport have to deal with the conditions that come with it. No matter the conditions, they always play. In the heat you train, in the cold they train, through the rain they train.

So why do coaches train their athletes through rough conditions? High school freshmen at Gunderson are required to take a minimum of 2 years of physical exercise. Within P.E not many coaches provide extra credit opportunities since all you need to do is put in the effort and arrive to class dressed out. Some of their exercise requires them to run no matter the weather. San Jose’s temperature on average drops to around 50 degrees fahrenheit within the winter and on average 60’s in the summer. During the start of the 2017 winter, the temperature had dropped to the mid-30’s. That’s only a couple degrees from freezing.

The cold itself doesn’t cause flu like symptoms, it’s the exposure to floating viruses within the air that causes you to become ill. People with weaker immune systems might experience slight flu-like symptoms during their time outside such as a runny and stuffy nose. This, however, will go away after some time.

Caitlyn Gutierrez, the coach for Gunderson’s water polo team, conditions over the summer and throughout the school year for the upcoming competition later in the year.

“The only thing that keeps us out of the pool is lightning… otherwise if its raining were in the the water,” said Gutierrez. Gutierrez trains the water polo team from 3:00-6:00 in the afternoon, and in the morning from 5:30-7:00 am. “We’ve played in the rain, we played in extreme heat,” Caitlyn states.

Throughout each sport either it be soccer or football many coaches insist on training no matter what nature throws at them. Professional sports such as the NFL still have football matches through rain, mud, and even snow on some cases.

Christina Lee a writer on the website azcentral wrote an article as to the myth between the cold and sickness.

“When you get wet outdoors, your body temperature drops. This is offset somewhat by exercise, which increases your body temperature,” Christania Lee wrote.

Working out is known to increase your overall body temperature in order to resist contracting deadly illnesses such as hypothermia. This however doesn’t help when athletes train in extreme heat environment. The heat combined working out can cause hyperthermia, which is the process of overheating past your core body temperature.

No matter no weather either it be heat or rain athletes are always pushing the boundaries of the human body.