Stupid challenges

Would you do it?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stupid challenges

Camila Salazar

Camila Salazar

Camila Salazar

Camila Salazar, Staff Writer

Every so often there is some type of challenge going viral on social media. People attempt these challenges simply to have fun.They’re not useful, but it’s more for the entertainment of others.  The most original challenges started coming out in 2013 with people doing things such as putting a whole spoonful of cinnamon in their mouths and trying to swallow it with no water, known as “The Cinnamon Challenge.” That challenge lead people to having a burn in their mouths for a little.

In 2013, when challenges started becoming “a thing”, the “Salt and Ice Challenge” became a hit. People would place salt on the back of their hand and would put ice on it causing it to burn and leave a scar.  It was known by the pain the salt and ice would actually cause. Challenges continued to roll in that year including “The Harlem Challenge” which made people dance wildly . The song “Harlem Shake” by Baauer would play, and everyone would start dancing and do ridiculous and cringy moves.

Not all challenges are pointless, though. “The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge” became a worldwide challenge in 2014. It started with Pete Frates, a Boston College alumnus, who was diagnosed with ALS in March 2012. Pat Quinn, a friend of Frates who was also diagnosed with ALS in 2013, is credited with helping to create the challenge with his friend.

The challenge consisted of people recording themselves dumping ice water on their heads. The videos were uploaded to the media and some encouraged donations to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Many people did the challenge but made no extra effort to put in the actual reason of the challenges, so they would just pour freezing water onto themselves for fun. People raised over $115 million dollars (the donations) for ALS. Out of all the challenges, this one has been the most useful in every way. It was entertaining to most yet at the same time, it was helping a real life problem.

With one challenge already helping the health of others, another challenge known as “The Tide Pod Challenge” is causing the health of other at risk. The stupidest challenge, most likely.

Knowing that the pods are poison to our bodies,” According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, exposure to this compound can cause eye and nose irritation, kidney problems and possible long-term lung damage”,people made the stupid decision to make it a challenge.

An article written by Sarang Koushik M.D. for ABC News presents that “The exact number of deaths related to the Tide pod challenge is difficult to estimate. But a growing number of injuries have been linked to ingestion of these products, for any reason, as they have grown in popularity. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, there were 10,570 cases of detergent exposure reported to poison centers in 2017, for children 5 and younger.

No matter how fun or stupid these challenges are, your safety should be your number one priority.